Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Coolest Surname and Androgynous Names for Girls: From Afton to Willoughby

Mia Sara as Sloan Peterson in Ferris Bueller's Day Off, 1986.




I think I started becoming fascinated by surname names on girls the first time I saw Ferris Bueller's Day Off. The stunning Mia Sara portrays Ferris's girlfriend, Sloan Peterson--I wanted her white leather jacket with fringe, I wanted her expressive eyes, and I wanted her carelessly-tossed hair. But more than anything, I wanted her name. It was just so--cool. It gave her character an instant sense of sophistication, class, and panache. Since then, I've heard a wide variety of surname-y, androgynous-sounding names on girls, and the best of these project the same aura as Sloan: an aura that is capable, confident, and sleek. Here are my picks:










Flannery

Sloane/Sloane

Winslow

Marlo/Marlow/Marlowe

Kensington

Kennedy

Rooney

Kingsley

Aberdeen

Walker

Baker

Willoughby

Windsor

Carson

Langley

Landry

Spenser

Greer

Quincy

Corgan

Obrien

Donnelly

Calloway

Prewitt/Pruitt

Truett

Milne

Fifer

Sterling

Cooper

Trilby

Eliot

Austen

Eyre

Bronte

Lawrence/Laurence

Locke

Lincoln

Parker

Bellamy

Jacoby

Foster

Morrissey

Murphy

Kipling

Courtland

Garland

Nash

Cade

Clark

Sullivan

Revere

Tenley

Tierney

Ferebee

Quinlan

Sutton

Tipper

Hollis

Harper

Hadley

Cameron/Camryn/Kamryn et.al

Keagan

Laramie

Greyson/Grayson

Afton

No comments:

Post a Comment